The Springfield Township Police Department was established in 1960 by the Springfield Township Board of Trustees. The department was originally located in shared office space at 8375 Winton Road. Due to the rapid growth of the township, the demand for police service steadily increased. In 1979, a federal grant was obtained and used to build the current police facility at 1130 Compton Road.
Since 1964, the Springfield Township Police Department has operated a full-service police department, offering the latest in law enforcement technology and programs. The department is one of the few nationally accredited police agencies across the country, under the standards of the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA). The three-year accreditation process ensures the practices of the department are efficient, professional, and ethical. The Police Department was awarded its sixth re-accreditation in August of 2013. In the same year, the Springfield Township Police Department was recognized with the CALEA Award of Excellence, a nationally recognized honor that only 12 agencies in Ohio hold. The department has maintained CALEA Accreditation since 1999.